[arch-general] How up to date does pacman keep Enlightenment(e17)???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Jul 19 01:10:32 EDT 2010

I mean given that e17 is installed via pacman: When I do a pacman -Syu, how
close to the current upstream version do I get? I'm pretty sure that all
the module packages are listed as "svn" I think that's a version control
thing designed to keep things up to date. And I think I remember reading
something about the Arch way tending to keep packages real close to
upstream versions. But While E17 works great on my up to date amd64 Gateway
laptop, the same E17 on my amd64 HP Pavilion with Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE,
also up to date however, wount allow me to make any changes to the shelf...

I can't change it's appearance (except to the extent of accepting a theme's
default changes)

I can't add or remove gadgets to/from the shelf.

I can't change the size of the shelf.

I can't change it's position from bottom center to any other setting.

Any attempt to do any of the above leaves me with a "This is very bad..."
pop-up that wants me to either select [restart (changes not saved)] or [exit
(entire configuration messed up. Wind up deleting the entire ~/.e/* tree
and redoing the keyboard shortcuts, desktops areas, backgrounds, theme,
focus settings etc...]

But I don't know if I should ask about this here or if it's actually close
enough to the pure upstream version that I should inquire of the
enlightenment users mailing list instead???

It's not a major issue for me, BTW. I work around it by positioning desktop
gadgets I want on top of the shelf gadgets I don't want via the <ctrl>+<alt>+G
immutable shortcut...

Still if I've got a truly current e17 then maybe the E17 team should hear of
the problem??? If not then perhaps whoever it is that updates the svn
packages in community should be aware that on the same machine using the
e17 provided with apt-get (both an up to date PCLOS2010 and an up to date
Xubuntu Karmic installation) let me make these changes. Note: in all three
cases the installer/package-manager provided Nvidia driver was installed.