[arch-general] How up to date does pacman keep Enlightenment(e17)???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Jul 19 14:16:07 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Jul 19, David C. Rankin did say:

> On 07/19/2010 12:10 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > I can't change it's appearance (except to the extent of accepting a theme's
> > default changes)
> >
> > I can't add or remove gadgets to/from the shelf.
> >
> > I can't change the size of the shelf.
> >
> > I can't change it's position from bottom center to any other setting.
>
> E17 is really recent. I have e-svn 49942-1 which is only 80 or so commits
> behind the current svn tree. That's only about 10-15 days behind today.

It could be that the other distros where this still works properly are NOT
as up to date... E17 IS still under "heavy development" after all and
subject to such things...

> When I started E17 tonight to check out what you reported, I encountered an
> error about the 'conf_exebuf' module not being found and asking if I wanted to
> unload it -- I did.

Yeah, I forgot that I had to add the exbuf module manually. And then I think it
must have not worked properly as I pointed my keyboard shortcut at xfrun4
from my xfce desktop...

> We will need an E17 update from whoever builds E17 for arch. When I opened the
> "Themes" dialog to change from the "Genesis" theme (good by the way), E17
> froze. That hasn't happened to me in a while. So it looks like the current
> Arch build has a few bugs that will hopefully be cured with the next package.

Well when it comes to themes I tend to use personal themes downloaded from
somewhere... I'm partial to the various "vulcan" themes by somebody named
Ndjee because they make it _easy_ for a keyboard oriented users to see which button or
menu choice will happen if enter is pressed. And I like to set the pager
module to "Kandy" because when switching desktop area's I can easily spot
which desktops have open windows, And in fact can even so do by squinting
at the pager gadget on the shelf when NOT in the middle of a switch...

> If you want to stay up to the present with your E17 desktop, you can build it
> yourself from svn painlessly with the easy_e17.sh script.
>
> http://exchange.enlightenment.org/application/show/134
>
> The script basically does it all for you. It downloads/updates the latest
> source packages and then builds e17 for you. I've used it before and liked it.
> Once you go through the first download, all the remaining updates are fast as
> you are just downloading changes.
>
> Give it a go if you want to see if your issue is fixed already.

As I mentioned I've got some painless work arounds in place, so I think
I'll stick with the pacman (and apt-get on the other distros) versions
until and unless I get a true show stopper I can't get around. As a
multi-linux multi-boot user, I'm VERY addicted to using the provided package
management tools because if I do much custom configuring on my asst.
Linux, I'd never have the time to actually use the PC for anything but
reconfiguring it...

In any case I thank you ( and others like you ) for making it so that most
of the time all I need to understand is how to pacman, apt-get, yum,
zypper, etc... as applicable to whichever distro is currently installed.

Actually I tried easy_e17.sh twice before on now defunct desktops machines.
Once it worked just fine. The other time I couldn't get it past some
important package that wouldn't install...