[arch-general] Xorg18 status and Gnome

Burlynn Corlew Jr burlynn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:21:33 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Alexander Preisinger <
alexander.preisinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/3 Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> > Why is it that Arch seems to take longer than say other distros such as
> Ubuntu, Debian, etc, to support newer versions of Xorg and Gnome? I was
> curious about that process.
> > While Debian/Ubuntu/etc distros seem to be supporting the Gnome desktop
> just fine, it appears that others most noticeably that of Gentoo and other
> such similar distros, mask or test out Gnome/Xorg, rather than releasing it
> strate away into say in Arches case, the extra/core repos.
> > I had another question, relating to that of Arch, some webpages I have
> found compare Arch to Debian Cid/Unstable. How true is this, and exactly in
> what way is Arch Linux itself, like that of Debian Cid? Thanks!
> > Regards, --Keith
> > Skype: skypedude1234
> > MSN Messenger:
> > keithint37 at hotmail.com
> > Yahoo  messenger /AIM:
> > keithint1234
>
> Arch was the fastest distro releasing Gnome 2.30.

We also have Xorg 1.8 sitting in testing repos soon to hit regular repos. I
dont know where your getting your information from but Ubuntu nor Debian
stable are not running this yet. The only comparison between ourselves and
Debian Sid is that we are both rolling releases, yet where Arch is always
rolling Sid will be frozen and feature tested before it moves to stable. We
owe it to users using the normal repos to at least move big packages like
this through testing before they hit regular repos for the sake of
stability. Even with them going through testing first, Arch is one of the
first to release as binary for sure.