[arch-general] dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jun 5 16:20:14 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Jun 5, Ross did say:

> On 05/06/10 17:36, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > Wvdial only finds the modem when I specify 'Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0' in
> > my wvdial.conf file...
> >

> Are you able to access the modem with minicom?

I'm unable to figure out how to use minicom...

After much fumbling around I managed to find where to define the init
string and where to put the number to be dialed. (I think) Anyway, somehow
I managed to get it to talk to the modem itself, BUT...

I start minicom and it initializes the modem. (If the init string
includes the H1 it goes off hook, which soon leads to the phone company
interrupting the dial tone to tell me to dial again. Without the H1 it
never goes off hook.) Either way it still doesn't dial.
(if I type '^A Z D {enter}' it tells me I'm already online and that I
should hangup first. But doing a '^A H' {followed by selecting 'yes' in
the pop-up text box} has no effect...) And incidentally I when it told me
I was already online, I opened another terminal and confirmed that I
couldn't 'ping google.com' without reconnecting the ethernet cable.