[arch-general] help with synce?

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 05:22:07 EDT 2010

Greetings,
I recently migrated to archlinux and over-all find it quite good.  I have had much success using the wiki to get my system set up and configured to my liking.

So far, I only have one issue I can't resolve.  I am trying to get SynCE working on my system so  I can transfer material between my laptop and a mobile device.

Some potentially useful information: I'm running 32-bitt archlinux with the gnome desktop.  I received the mobile device (a Braillenote) in the summer of 2001, so it's running an old version of WindowsCE (and slightly modified to interact with the braille input/output).  I used to have synCE working on a previous Linux installation (*not* archlinux) using synce-serial and odccm to connect through a USB-serial bridge.

I used pacman to install synce-libsynce, synce-librapi, synce-serial and synce-odccm (the packages required to get the connection to work on my old system).  I ran synce-serial-config ttyUSB0 which, from the output, appeared to work correctly.  But when I run odccm and try to connect with synce-serial-start, it appears the connection is established and dropped again in an instant.  Synce-serialstart provides the basic message that I'm used to seeing when it makes a connection, nd my mobile device chirps to indicate it's connected, but it quickly makes the disconnect tone right after, and any subsequent attempt to interact with the mobile device using pcp, pls etc produce failure messages that neither hal nor odccm can find a connection.

The resulting message from odccm is:

$ sudo odccm  -f -l 6
Password:
** (odccm:2550): DEBUG: _odccm_interface_address: waiting for IP address on ppp0
** (odccm:2550): DEBUG: _odccm_interface_address: waiting for IP address on ppp0
** (odccm:2550): DEBUG: _odccm_interface_address: waiting for IP address on ppp0
** (odccm:2550): DEBUG: _odccm_interface_address: waiting for IP address on ppp0
** (odccm:2550): DEBUG: _odccm_interface_address: waiting for IP address on ppp0
process 2550: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file dbus-errors.c line 278.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted

I'm working with the synce-users list to trouble-shoot the issue, but thought maybe someon on the arch mailing list might have insight into the problem.