[arch-general] [signoff] mpfr-3.0.0-1, gcc-4.5.0-6 and libmpc-0.8.2-2

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Sat Jun 12 10:43:13 EDT 2010

At Samstag, 12. Juni 2010 14:53 Pierre Schmitz wrote:

>> Was that ever fixed in our gcc?
>
> No, the last working gcc was 4.4
> I guess it will be fixed when some mainstream distros switch to gcc 4.5

I hope nobody is getting angry about it but i have one question: Is there a
additional benefit that we stepped even "very" early to the next gcc?

>From my feeling, which is not an analyze, with every gcc update something breaks
and there be at example such disadvantages:

1. Without the bigger distros, which have more manpower, everyone here has to
create the patch by himself. At the first look this sounds as that you will do
this only if you have too much time.-)

2. I think that the most application or toolkit developpers use at the moment
gcc 4.4 and so it would be not a wonder that their own tests been perfect with
this version and not 4.5.

Or to ask it in another way: What is the disadvantage in the case of gcc to wait
until the bigger player in the market makes the step too? Is there realy one or
more application which benefits from it or can be compiled only with this newer
version of gcc?

For me it would be enough to have 4.5 in a gcc-next package and make the step
with the other distros. But this be only my 2c.

See you, Attila