[arch-general] File Associations for firefox & thunderbird :)^

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Tue Jun 15 04:19:00 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 15 Jun 2010 at 06:48 Madhurya Kakati wrote:

> >> You can't use xdg-settings when you don't have one of the major DEs
> >> running, xdg-open falls back to a hardcoded array of browsers in that
> >> case. It's all quite awkward if you don't use gnome, kde or xfce.
> >> I know, doesn't really help with your problem..
> >
> > Have you read the first line of my post properly ? I said I am a 100% KDE
> > user.
>
> tried system settings? the file associations there i guess.

I've come across this problem too. I've never managed to get Firefox to honour
KDE's file associations (which is big negative IMO), but on one machine, it
did remember what I told it to do. From memory, Firefox's file associations
can be edited in Edit->Preferences->Content, but I'm not sure if Thunderbird
has something similar, since I don't use it.

So can Firefox use XDG? I was under the impression that it just managed its
own associations.

On another machine though, with an identical set-up, it continually asks for a
binary to open the file with, and you have to point the file dialog to
/usr/bin/okular or whatever. This is annoying, but I've no idea why it worked
in one case by not the other.

Pete.