[arch-general] File Associations for firefox & thunderbird :)^

Nathan Wayde kumyco at konnichi.com
Tue Jun 15 04:40:53 EDT 2010

On 15/06/10 09:19, Peter Lewis wrote:

>>> Have you read the first line of my post properly ? I said I am a 100% KDE
>>> user.
>>
>> tried system settings? the file associations there i guess.
>
> I've come across this problem too. I've never managed to get Firefox to honour
> KDE's file associations (which is big negative IMO), but on one machine, it
> did remember what I told it to do. From memory, Firefox's file associations
> can be edited in Edit->Preferences->Content, but I'm not sure if Thunderbird
> has something similar, since I don't use it.
>
> So can Firefox use XDG? I was under the impression that it just managed its
> own associations.
>
> On another machine though, with an identical set-up, it continually asks for a
> binary to open the file with, and you have to point the file dialog to
> /usr/bin/okular or whatever. This is annoying, but I've no idea why it worked
> in one case by not the other.
>
> Pete.

Have you tried simply pressin ok when it asks you? Mozilla apps have a
nasty bug?/annoyance wherein the dialog pops up asking you to specifify
the program to use when in fact it knows your last preference. Also, if
in the case it works, you don't need, and prolly should enter the
command that opens it, instead use xdg-open and your preferred program
will be launch even after you change it.