[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping flashplugin x86_64

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Jun 15 21:18:58 EDT 2010

Am Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:57:56 -0400
schrieb Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com>:

> meh! flash works... I don't think I've tried the webm stuff... but I
> did try the youtube html5 beta and it just didn't work well.

For me YouTube HTML5 is working much better than the Flash stuff
(despite the missing implementations of the proper video codecs in the
browsers), particularly the cache is loaded much faster than with Flash
and the playback and skipping through the video by clicking onto the
progress bar is much faster and smoother.

> flash
> does more than just video anyways. I'll be ok with html5 <video> if it
> works as good as flash for the purpose... but flash does so much more,
> and it will certainly is better than going back to the days of
> 'proprietary plugins, and codecs'.

I completely disagree. Flash can, of course, do much more than just
video. But video currently is the most important feature. And I never
understood why all those video portals thought they had to implement
those videos in this proprietary Flash than just using the already
existing and well and better working video plugins like mplayer-plugin
resp. gecko-mediaplayer.

I also hate these websites which are completely and only implemented in
Flash. They are usually loaded and rendered much slower than simple
HTML websites, look at least not better, sometimes even worse and can
only be seen with such a proprietary plugin.

There are very few exceptions. For building small games like
Samorost 1 and 2 e.g. Flash is quite nice, because such games can easily
be written and played in a webbrowser. Disadvantage again: If the
proprietary plugin doesn't work or doesn't exist these games can't be
played anymore. So better such games should better be written in C.

And last but not least there are those annoying flickering Flash ads.

All in all Flash is just annoying and superfluous.

Heiko