[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping flashplugin x86_64

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:08:09 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> I completely disagree. Flash can, of course, do much more than just
> video. But video currently is the most important feature. And I never
> understood why all those video portals thought they had to implement
> those videos in this proprietary Flash than just using the already
> existing and well and better working video plugins like mplayer-plugin
> resp. gecko-mediaplayer.

I've used that too... it didn't work well for me either...

> I also hate these websites which are completely and only implemented in
> Flash. They are usually loaded and rendered much slower than simple
> HTML websites, look at least not better, sometimes even worse and can
> only be seen with such a proprietary plugin.

with the exception of a few movie websites which were kinda
entertaining I agree.

> There are very few exceptions. For building small games like
> Samorost 1 and 2 e.g. Flash is quite nice, because such games can easily
> be written and played in a webbrowser. Disadvantage again: If the
> proprietary plugin doesn't work or doesn't exist these games can't be
> played anymore. So better such games should better be written in C.

yes... and then how're you going to serve them up in a cross compat way?

> And last but not least there are those annoying flickering Flash ads.

before flash it was gifs...

don't get me wrong... I don't love flash but it's been much better to
me than everything else. Honestly I wish people would just stfu about
the death of flash. I'm not about to be adobe or apple's puppet. As
long as I can use the web the way I want I'm happy. Flash has been
about 95% good on that since 10. A few bumps here and there, but some
weren't the fault of 'flash' like any program they were the fault of
the programmer. I'm pretty sure the problems with the daily show were
how they've built their stack, because youtube and abc.go.com both
work flawlessly.

seriously it's easier to block flash than gifs and the caching on
mplayer-plugin never worked that well... javascript has been just as
obnoxious as flash if not more so, popups anyone? how 'bout 'alert'
messages.

guns don't kill people, people kill people
programming languages don't create bad programs... bad programmers do.

don't blame the tool. (and no I don't like proprietary software, I
wish flash were open source. but I'll wait for webm to be a proven
technology before I jump on that bandwagon)
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com