[arch-general] Label and Format USB Drive

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:11:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 16.06.2010 20:23, schrieb Guilherme M. Nogueira:
>> With /dev/sdb as your usb drive, to format:
>>
>> fdisk /dev/sdb
>> mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1
>>
>> and then to name the partition:
>>
>> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::ocz_usb
>
> Then (for mlabel) you'll need mtools, too. The label can be passed as an
> option to mkdosfs, or you can use dosfslabel to set it.

It appears Arch can't find /dev/sdd1 however I can find it fine when I
use the 'fdisk' utility. I don't understand why...

[root at tuna ~]# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd1
mkfs.vfat 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
/dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

When I look under the /dev/ directory, I don't see sda sdb sdc or sdd.
Am I missing something here?