[arch-general] Label and Format USB Drive

Sergey Manucharian ingeniware at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:26:04 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Carlos Mennens's message of Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:11 -0400:

> It appears Arch can't find /dev/sdd1 however I can find it fine when I
> use the 'fdisk' utility. I don't understand why...

You should not fdisk on a partition (like sdd1), only on the whole
device e.g. /dev/sdd

> [root at tuna ~]# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd1
> mkfs.vfat 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
> /dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

Nowadays some USB drives are not partitioned, so
maybe you indeed have no /dev/sdd1, but just /dev/sdd - you can use the
whole drive to create a file system, but I'd recommend to create a
partition with fdisk first.

Also "mkfs.vfat -n ocz_usb /dev/hdd1" will put the label right away.

> When I look under the /dev/ directory, I don't see sda sdb sdc or sdd.

That's strange, but by the way, how do you look into it?
What is output of "ls -l /dev/sd*" ?

Cheers,
Serg1