[arch-general] New Google Group for discussion and notices on Arch security.

Miah Johnson miah at chia-pet.org
Thu Jun 17 18:35:19 EDT 2010

I think there is much more that can be done besides the short list from
Ananda. The thing you have to remember is that "security" does not mean "I'm
running the newest code.".

Things to remember:
1. There is no such thing as "secure".
2. Proper security consists of multiple layers of defense.

Additional examples of things the AST could do:
1. Propose changes to default configuration files to be "more secure", and
have more documentation around setting up services in a more secure fashion.
2. Assist with SELinux & GRsecurity projects.
3. Propose changes to initscripts to make sure software drops privileges and
chroots where possible, or at least make it easier to enable such features.
4. pie / ssp
5. PaX
6. Audits

This list is by no means complete, but the end goal should be to make things
more secure. The other thing to remember is that just because you are
running the latest rev of code, it doesn't mean there aren't
vulnerabilities, or unpatched issues.  Developers don't always consider
issues that could be security issues to be security issues, or don't they
understand the security implications of certain issues.

Lastly, just because Arch is a rolling release it doesn't mean that
everybody that uses it just updates everything at a whim. Some people do
believe in change control and it may be useful for those people to be aware
of security issues in certain packages that need to be updated. Not
everybody does a daily/weekly/monthly system update. For some people
"stability" is a feature. Some people might choose to upgrade packages which
are security conscious while taking caution to upgrade a package they
are dependent on.

TOFU.
-Miah