[arch-general] intel video & suspend

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 04:12:45 EDT 2010

On 18 June 2010 16:07, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2010-06-18 09:54:55 +0200:

>> > Sorry it took so long, I missed your reply.
>> >
>> > "xset dpms force off" is supposed to turn off the screen immediately using
>> > DPMS, at least thats what it seems to do.
>> > I just don't want to suspend (suspend the whole system to RAM) everytime I
>> > close the lid, rather I like it to continue to work on whatever I told it to
>> > do :-)
>>
>> That _is_ the default behaviour - the laptop should do nothing at all
>> when the lid is closed. I know of no particular hardware/BIOS that
>> sets a sleep action upon lid closure. It is only altered by userspace
>> tools/daemons like for eg. when using a DE. You might want to check
>> what else is enforcing a rule to the lid-closing state.
>
> Mine does turn off the backlight, and I'm quite sure there's no
> userspace involved, just plain hardware/bios. No idea whether others do
> more than that. Turning off the backlight seems like reasonably safe
> thing to do.

Yes, what I meant to say was that most laptop BIOS's switch off the
monitor by default, so you shouldn't need to do any fiddling around
other than when a possible power management tool has interrupted this
behaviour. Except for very old models that do not recognise lid
closure as an ACPI event.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD