[arch-general] Boost

Alexander Duscheleit jinks at archlinux.us
Fri Jun 18 17:56:40 EDT 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:56:48 -0400
Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri 18 Jun 2010 11:52 +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> > >>>

> > What's the issue here though? We have a working split package and
> > everyone is happy? Bjam is a crappy build system but until CMake is
> > more actively maintained by Boost (last boost-cmake release was
> > 1.41) it'll have to do. Boost is an important part of C++
> > development, it should not go without update in Arch.
>
> Wow, this is kind of depressing. Why would some package in community
> block an established library from being upgraded in extra?

In this special case, because it caused data loss of probably very
important files (hence encrypted) _without_ prior warning.

But there seems to be a trend starting in this direction which worries
me a little. IIRC there is nothing holding back Xorg 1.8 except for
legacy nvidia drivers, and that for quite a while. If that is true,
it's even more depressing for me, since nobody waited for us poor ATI
R500 users when catalyst dropped support. :)