[arch-general] Boost

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jun 21 03:01:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 23:56 +0200, Alexander Duscheleit wrote:

> But there seems to be a trend starting in this direction which worries
> me a little. IIRC there is nothing holding back Xorg 1.8 except for
> legacy nvidia drivers, and that for quite a while. If that is true,
> it's even more depressing for me, since nobody waited for us poor ATI
> R500 users when catalyst dropped support. :)

Which is not true...
The reason for dropping catalyst is that they only release drivers when
Ubuntu does a release. if Ubuntu doesn't ship a version of xorg-server,
no driver will be made.
The reason for holding back xorg-server 1.8 in testing was because of
bugs and crashes. Until a week or two ago when I did the latest changes
to the Intel driver, I couldn't get OpenGL on intel stable for more than
30 seconds. Also, the kernel contais massive changes for AMD and Intel
drivers, so we basically needed the new kernel that was also in testing.