[arch-general] b43: wireless issues

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jun 19 18:35:36 EDT 2010

On 18/06/10 16:09, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
[...]
> I only read that stuff on their mailinglist and in some kernel log/mail that
> they're gonna change it to a module load time option in kernel .34.  I don't
> know anything for sure. I don't think it reverts to PIO automatically, and I
> don't think it will.

I think it does.  Since I do get connected long enough to start using the
network, even when the DMA-related error message pops up in dmesg.

> If you don't necessarily need the b43 driver then the broadcom thing in AUR
> should work without too much hassle. One of the annoying things with it is
> that you need to compile it against your kernel, so if you use multiple
> kernels you're in for fun. Another nuisance is that the wifi identifies
> itself as eth0 and wired as eth1. b43 is imho better in that respect, eth0
> for ethernet and wlan0 for wireless just makes more sense.  I also had the
> broadcom driver sometimes stall my machine for a couple of seconds, usually
> after boot, which I consider bad behavior.

Yes, I just installed broadcom-wl from AUR, working fine so far.  I'll stick
to it and move on to the next item of configuration on my laptop: suspend.

So far I always get a blank screen on resume, something I know has been
discussed on this list in the passed; I'm off to the archives.

Cheers,