[arch-general] b43: wireless issues

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 23 07:03:19 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Magnus Therning's message of 2010-06-20 00:35:36 +0200:
> On 18/06/10 16:09, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> [...]
> > I only read that stuff on their mailinglist and in some kernel log/mail that
> > they're gonna change it to a module load time option in kernel .34.  I don't
> > know anything for sure. I don't think it reverts to PIO automatically, and I
> > don't think it will.
>
> I think it does.  Since I do get connected long enough to start using the
> network, even when the DMA-related error message pops up in dmesg.
>
> > If you don't necessarily need the b43 driver then the broadcom thing in AUR
> > should work without too much hassle. One of the annoying things with it is
> > that you need to compile it against your kernel, so if you use multiple
> > kernels you're in for fun. Another nuisance is that the wifi identifies
> > itself as eth0 and wired as eth1. b43 is imho better in that respect, eth0
> > for ethernet and wlan0 for wireless just makes more sense.  I also had the
> > broadcom driver sometimes stall my machine for a couple of seconds, usually
> > after boot, which I consider bad behavior.
>
> Yes, I just installed broadcom-wl from AUR, working fine so far.  I'll stick
> to it and move on to the next item of configuration on my laptop: suspend.
>
> So far I always get a blank screen on resume, something I know has been
> discussed on this list in the passed; I'm off to the archives.
>
> Cheers,

Hey again.
I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.34.
I still get:
b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000400, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,
0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please
use PIO instead.
b43-phy0: Controller RESET (DMA error) ...

but now it does fall back to PIO automatically.
I'm now online with the wireless for a couple of minutes and it seems to
work well so far. I had one disconnect though, and don't know why. It
happened at the instant I started IRC and the mail client.

Anyway, I'd call it progress. Thought I let you know.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan