[arch-general] Kudos to the Arch devs!

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Tue Jun 22 09:24:53 EDT 2010

On 06/22/2010 09:10 AM, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I would be interested to know your experience of running arch as
> server os. running I use distros like debian,CentOS etc. till now I
> have been scared of running arch as server.
>
> Please share your experience
>

> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma

Even I've started using arch on the server (the second VPS, of my
friend), (you know if you've read my thread limit posts, etc.)

Arch makes a perfect distro for server I feel. It doesn't install stuff
by default which makes things rock solid. The admin knows what is
installed and what not, so troubleshooting is easy in case someone hacks
in through a security hole.

Also it is damn easy to use those PKGBUILD scripts from AUR to have
custom compiled software under the same name, so it won't create the
dependency issues. For example phpmyadmin depends on mysql-clients and
php, you can have those packages with the same name, or under a custom
name with provides=() in the PKGBUILDs of php and mysql.

So binaries can be self compiled for optimization and use scripts like
pma, python ones, etc. directly from the repos.

--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan