[arch-general] VLC and Wine have been out-of-date too long.

Lauri Niskanen ape at ape3000.com
Sat Jun 26 03:30:26 EDT 2010

Hello,

usually Arch Linux have had very quick updates to packages when the
upstream bumbed a version. However, I am slightly annoyed by the fact
that VLC [1] and Wine [2] have been out-of-date for a long time.

VLC 1.1.0 was released about a week ago and Wine 1.2-rc1 was released on
2010-05-21. Now there is Wine 1.2-rc5.

I should also note that regardless of the Wine being a release candidate
it is as stable release as 1.1.x-versions including the currently
packaged 1.1.44. The officially "stable" version is 1.0.1, but 1.1.x and
1.2rc are considered very stable, yet they are officially both
"development version". I agree with the one who packaged 1.1.x in Arch,
it is stable enough for Arch and 1.0.1 is just too out date.

Please update vlc to 1.1.0 and Wine to 1.2-rc5.

[1] http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/vlc/
[2] http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/wine/

--
Ape <Lauri Niskanen>