[arch-general] VLC and Wine have been out-of-date too long.

Lauri Niskanen ape at ape3000.com
Sat Jun 26 04:28:19 EDT 2010

On 06/26/2010 11:11 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 26/06/10 17:43, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
>> On 06/26/2010 10:28 AM, Lauri Niskanen wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>
>> hi
>>
>>> it is stable enough for Arch and 1.0.1 is just too out date.
>>>
>>> Please update vlc to 1.1.0 and Wine to 1.2-rc5.
>>
>> rc version doesn't belong in our official extra. it would be updated to
>> 1.2 when is actually released

Again I understand the Arch doesn't have unstable versions in [extra],
but I want to give some extra information about the context. We will
have the same issue later with 1.2.x vs 1.3.x.

Wine stable releases are published very rarely. The stable release
becomes really old before they release the next one. They have this
super stable "stable" (1.0.x and soon 1.2.x), but they also release
"development releases" (0.9.x, 1.1.x, and soon 1.3.x) that are carefully
kept stable enough for end-users.

Many other distributions have decided to use the development releases
like they were stable releases. I give Ubuntu as one example. Generally
they have very stable packages, not even the latest upstream stable but
older. Arch Linux instead has the bleeding edge upstream version. Ubuntu
Lucid (the latest stable Ubuntu version) has two packages for wine: wine
and wine1.0. The more often used "wine" is version 1.1.42 and the extra
stable additional package wine1.0 has 1.0.1.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/wine

--
Ape <Lauri Niskanen>