[arch-general] Xorg 1.8 & Nouveau dependencies

Michishige Kaito chris.webstar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 09:22:47 EDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Thorsten Töpper wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:00:44 +0100
> Michishige Kaito <chris.webstar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> So, we all heard it doesn't need HAL anymore. But what does it need?
>> It would seem like it depends on either "nvidia" or "nvidia-utils"
>> because I got rid of those last night and now X won't start. Well...
>> it _does_ start, but all I get is a bunch of nice coloured stripes
>> across the screen in random angles and sizes. I'm not really sure how
>> to handle this, since I can't seem to access my system now. I'm
>> burning an arch ISO while I type, and gonna try that. Whilst... any
>> tips?
>
> You don't need a full reinstall.
>
> When you're in grub select the entry, press e, select the kernel line
> and press e again, add a single 3 to the end of the line and press
> return to save this, then press b to boot this temporarily modified
> entry.
>
> If that does not work because you start your login manager as a DAEMON,
> do the same with a single 1 and not a 3, so your System will boot
> without daemons and you can kick the login manager from the init system
> and start the daemons by using "telinit 3".
>
> As I'm not familiar with the new configuration either I can't give you
> any tips for that.
>
> Regards,
> Thorsten

I used the netinstall cd as a means to mount my disks and see at what was
going on, but thanks for the tip, will save me a dvd next time :)

As it turned out, I got scared way too early. It was just a file in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d referencing the nvidia driver I had uninstalled.

---
Michishige Kaito

BOFH excuse #70:

nesting roaches shorted out the ether cable