[arch-general] Xorg 1.8 & Nouveau dependencies

Thorsten Töpper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Sat Jun 26 09:12:28 EDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:00:44 +0100
Michishige Kaito <chris.webstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So, we all heard it doesn't need HAL anymore. But what does it need?
> It would seem like it depends on either "nvidia" or "nvidia-utils"
> because I got rid of those last night and now X won't start. Well...
> it _does_ start, but all I get is a bunch of nice coloured stripes
> across the screen in random angles and sizes. I'm not really sure how
> to handle this, since I can't seem to access my system now. I'm
> burning an arch ISO while I type, and gonna try that. Whilst... any
> tips?

You don't need a full reinstall.

When you're in grub select the entry, press e, select the kernel line
and press e again, add a single 3 to the end of the line and press
return to save this, then press b to boot this temporarily modified
entry.

If that does not work because you start your login manager as a DAEMON,
do the same with a single 1 and not a 3, so your System will boot
without daemons and you can kick the login manager from the init system
and start the daemons by using "telinit 3".

As I'm not familiar with the new configuration either I can't give you
any tips for that.

Regards,
Thorsten
--
Jabber: atsutane at freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4     FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4