[arch-general] [arch-releng] Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sun Jun 27 21:58:07 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
> On 06/27/2010 10:29 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
>>
>> Am Sonntag 27 Juni 2010 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:

>>> Then probably we should move wvdial to core just like ie. pppoe stuff is
>>> in core, no need for a special exceptions. And then we'd include it in
>>> the package list for archiso. Having it in /src/core/pkg on the iso
>>> will be a good sideeffect, not a primary goal.
>>> I suggest someone who is into this stuff takes over, because I don't
>>> really know what i'm talking about.
>>>
>>> Dieter
>>
>> Why to have a second app for dialing in core if ppp can handle already
>> this
>> stuff?
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>
> PPP can be configured to dial, but one needs to be a super geek I think.
> As I told you earlier, here in India, wvdial is supported officially,
> because it automatically detects the required settings. Change Username,
> Password and Phone Number. That's all, and you can have latest packages if
> you do an FTP install.

so it's just not clear _how_ to do it via ppp?  if that's the case i'd
say the info should be clarified/added to beginners guide and official
installation guide, esp. the official since thats on any install disk.

from beginners guide:

[core]
The simple principle behind [core] is to provide only one of each
necessary tool for a base Arch Linux system; The GNU toolchain, the
Linux kernel, one editor, one command line browser, etc. (There are a
few exceptions to this. For instance, both vi and nano are provided,
allowing the user to choose one or both.)

not that everything is set in stone, ie. nano/vi, but if the problem
is just a lack of documentation/understanding then we should just fix
that.  i have never needed to dial up (only ever had broadband), but
the instructions there seem rather easy?

C Anthony