[arch-general] Finally found a solution to slow USB on HAL

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 18:09:11 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Actually I was recently wondering a bit about the unmounting part,
> especially with USB sticks. I do have udev rules, taken from the wiki,
> in place that handle automatic mounting. There's also a unmounting part,
> which afair removes created dirs, but I guess this is only called after
> the usb drive is removed. It did happen more than once to me that a file
> transfer seemed to be complete, but when I just removed the drive, the
> data was gone. Is there a way to provide automatic safe removal? Manual
> unmounting is a bit of a PITA, as you need to have a terminal ready,
> guess sdN and type a line, where the device guessing part is the most
> problematic. I tend to use /dev/sdN to make sure that I remove the
> device from all mount points. Thanks for any advice.

Well, automounting is really easy, but auto-unmounting (!?) is
complex, because what triggers the event is the removal of the device,
but after you take it, the S.O. can't do anything about it anymore. I
use KDE, so I can mount and unmount easily. Gnome and XFCE also offer
good services for that. But without those, I fear that you'll need to
issue unmount manually.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?