[arch-general] Finally found a solution to slow USB on HAL

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 28 18:27:31 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Denis A. Altoé Falqueto's message of 2010-06-29 00:09:11 +0200:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Actually I was recently wondering a bit about the unmounting part,
> > especially with USB sticks. I do have udev rules, taken from the wiki,
> > in place that handle automatic mounting. There's also a unmounting part,
> > which afair removes created dirs, but I guess this is only called after
> > the usb drive is removed. It did happen more than once to me that a file
> > transfer seemed to be complete, but when I just removed the drive, the
> > data was gone. Is there a way to provide automatic safe removal? Manual
> > unmounting is a bit of a PITA, as you need to have a terminal ready,
> > guess sdN and type a line, where the device guessing part is the most
> > problematic. I tend to use /dev/sdN to make sure that I remove the
> > device from all mount points. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Well, automounting is really easy, but auto-unmounting (!?) is
> complex, because what triggers the event is the removal of the device,
> but after you take it, the S.O. can't do anything about it anymore. I
> use KDE, so I can mount and unmount easily. Gnome and XFCE also offer
> good services for that. But without those, I fear that you'll need to
> issue unmount manually.

That's what I thought. At this time I still use XFCEs thunar in case I
want a graphical file manager, which uses HAL for mounting/unmounting,
but I never managed to configure it correctly, so all I get is an error.
But since HAL is gradually becoming unnecessary I don't want to bother
with it. Mounting works well with udev alone.
I was hoping that the device could, when inactive, be put into a state
that prevents data loss. Not sure, kind of mount-on-demand maybe. I know
far to little of what's going on to see a solution, I'm not even sure
what causes the data loss when the writing is apparently finished.
Indications for being finished is with my usb stick for example a
differently glowing light and the indication in software of course.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan