[arch-general] Gnome/Gtk-2.0 BLING! (list of surprisingly cool themes)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:39:20 EST 2010

On 02/28/2010 08:14 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Grrrrrrr..... I've tried a similar theme. I don't like this. It strains my
> eyes.

That's the beauty of choice - to each his own :p My goal was simply to provide a
look at some of the alternative themes available that don't always get wide
interest, but at least in fit-and-finish are very well done, even if you don't
like the dark colors.

With all of these themes you can also use theme as light themes just by changing
the foreground and background colors in gnome-appearance-settings -> customize.
The beauty is that all of the colors themes also work in all of the other gnome
based variant desktop (openbox, fluxbox, pekwm, sawfish, etc..) just by loading
the 'gnome-settings-daemon' in your .xinitrc script. At least for me that has
opened up the desktop playing field to any desktop I may choose to load on any
occasion. The look and feel is consistent across all the desktops which lets you
better evaluate the pluses and minuses of each UI without color and theme
differences clouding the review.

If you haven't given the other desktops a look, I encourage it. Especially if
you have older hardware. There is more out there than just gnome of kde. In
addition to the list above, I would add xfce, blackbox and windowmaker. Out of
that list of 7, you might find you like the cleanness of the interfaces they
offer over the megamenu standards of gnome and kde. (not to mention all of your
gnome and kde apps run just fine in all of them)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC