[arch-general] Archwiki - Installing with fake raid - really chopped up...

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:50:53 EST 2010

On 02/28/2010 04:56 PM, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I don't know who does the wiki editing on the "Installing with Fake RAID" page,
>> but a lot of the helpful information was deleted and it has been edited down to
>> the point that it is confusing.
>>

> You seriously don't know that wikis have an history ?

Yes, I'm not a wiki guy, I'm a lawyer...

> And I don't understand what you are saying. I did my first fake raid
> install recently, probably in December with a recent version of that
> page and didn't have any problems. I was even surprised it worked on
> the first try.
> I just checked how that page was last October, and from the quick
> comparisons I just did, the current page still contains the same
> amount of information, has a nicer layout, and does not have some
> useless and outdated and confusing sections anymore.'

The whole issue is the deletion of the discussion where you go from choosing
"Other" in Partition you Disk, to "Installing Grub", there are no more than 3
bullet points one in "red" and the other two in "blue" that are just that --
bullet points or how you switch back and forth from Arch Install -> cfdisk to
set the CHS on your device mapper before diving into grub install and say
nothing of the controllers and chipsets that require an actuall reboot after
initially partitioning in cfdisk to make the new device mapper logical partition
available to complete the partitioning.

I'll check the history. I still have the original page I did last fall and
hopefully we can put a few more sentences back that explain how to recover from
these type issues.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC