[arch-general] Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Mar 10 04:48:16 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 05:02 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 10/03/10 08:58, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>>     Latest updates to poppler require the removal of poppler-qt3 which
>> fails due to
>> kdemod3-kdegraphics-pdf (kpdf) dependencies. How do we handle this? Do
>> we just
>> remove poppler-qt3? Won't that break kpdf? Thought I would check before I
>> started breaking things on my own :p
>>
>>     The actual error is:
>>
>> :: poppler conflicts with poppler-qt3. Remove poppler-qt3? [Y/n]
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> :: kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf: requires poppler-qt3>=0.6
>
> The correct way to handle it is to ask kdemod to either provide a
> poppler-qt3 package or fix their deps on the kdemod3-kdegraphics-kpdf
> package.
>
> Allan

Thanks Allan, Dave, Isaac & Ty

	I'll pester the guys at kdemod. I keep pushing for KDE to embrace the concept
of "KDE Classic". We see how smart the Coke board was when it tried to replace
Coke with "New Coke". In less than two weeks the board bowed to consumer demand
and rather than loosing market share, brought back Coke as Coke Classic. If KDE
had any brains it would do the same thing. Like it or not k4 is still in beta
stage with little direction and little guidance in what it will ultimately look
like or how it will behave.

	I have been using KDE4 for about 1 years now since the kde4.3 beta phase and I
like the desktop, but it is still very difficult to get things done on it. If I
need to work, I use kde3 or flux or enlightenment. If I want to write bug
reports endlessly or check the latest bling, I'll use kde4.

	But there is still no Quanta, etc.. in kde4 and simple things like trying to
have konqueror "back up" and remember what file it was on in the parent
directory just annoy the Sh17 out of me...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC