[arch-general] Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Mar 10 05:43:27 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 10:48 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Thanks Allan, Dave, Isaac&  Ty
>
> 	I'll pester the guys at kdemod. I keep pushing for KDE to embrace the concept
> of "KDE Classic". We see how smart the Coke board was when it tried to replace
> Coke with "New Coke". In less than two weeks the board bowed to consumer demand
> and rather than loosing market share, brought back Coke as Coke Classic. If KDE
> had any brains it would do the same thing.

Don't hold your breath!  :-)

I used to be a huge KDE fan-boy, but honestly I've just completely given
up on KDE at this point.  IMO it went from being the most rock-solid,
feature-filled Unix desktop system to a bug-ridden mess that lacked a
huge chunk of features that I rely heavily on.  The KDE devs traded
stability and functionality for eye candy - a poor trade in my book -
and yet seem very satisfied with the results.  Whatever.

But IMO they made one of the biggest (and oldest) mistakes in the
software dev book:  they did "The Big Rewrite".  (See:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html)

Don't get me wrong, I was a bit sad to give up on KDE.  (And went
through a good bit of pain and irritation for a few days while I tried
to suss out which desktop to switch to.)  But I've got work to get done,
and I need a stable system in order to do it.  And one of the beauties
of open source is that there's nearly always other options that get the
job done about as good (if not better).  (Xfce, in this case.)

DR