[arch-general] Howto handle poppler conflict with poppler-qt3

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Mar 10 06:11:01 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 10:43 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I was a bit sad to give up on KDE.  (And went
> through a good bit of pain and irritation for a few days while I tried
> to suss out which desktop to switch to.)  But I've got work to get done,
> and I need a stable system in order to do it.  And one of the beauties
> of open source is that there's nearly always other options that get the
> job done about as good (if not better).  (Xfce, in this case.)
>
> DR

There has been a really good upside to the kde4 fiasco. I never would have
learned about all the really good desktop choices out there. Doing the same they
you did - figuring out which desktop I was going to move to, I have learned to
be proficient in:

blackbox
enlightenment (DR16) - "Hey, was that your release?"
enlightenment (E17)
fluxbox
fvwm2
gnome
icewm
openbox
pekwm
sawfish
twm (not much bling, but it works over slow connections)
windowmaker & wmii
xfce

That was a fantastic bit of opensource learning and a kick in the pants to see
how they are so similar and so different at the same time.

I concur whole heartedly with your summation of kde4's status and the reasoning
behind the assessment. Basically, they broke the old axioms of "throwing the
baby out with the bath water..." and "fixing something that wasn't broken..."
Things would have turned out so much differently if they just would have built
upon the solid foundation of kde3 and incrementally added the eye-candy. But in
reality, I think what happened was, they simply bit off more than they could
chew and the size of the bite they had taken didn't become apparent until it was
much too late.

The irony is, they could still pick up the kde3 code base, move forward with the
incremental addition of the eye-candy and still finish that project with a rock
solid desktop -- 2 years before kde4 will ever come to fruition...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC