[arch-general] RAID Configuration & Swap Space

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 17:44:50 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Louis Brazeau <lbrazeau at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use the RAID/LVM article on the wiki :
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Software_RAID_or_LVM#Partition_the_Hard_Drives
>
> I used it in the past to setup a few systems with RAID and with or
> without LVM. So its your call if you want to use LVM or not.
>
> Also note that the article uses 3 swap partitions in a RAID 1 (total
> 2GB swap). So you will have to ajust the instructions for your
> situation.
>
> Anyway, it will give you a good idea what the commands look like.

Yes I am very familiar with that Wiki article but find Swap on RAID is
useless, no? For my scenario I was going to do the following and
please correct me if you think this is wrong:

- sda1 = 100MB
- sda2 = 1GB
- sda3 = 300GB

- sdb1 = 100MB
- sdb2 = 1GB
- sdb3 = 300GB

- sdc1 = 100MB
- sdc2 = 1GB
- sdc3 = 300GB

Then:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

Then mount /boot on /dev/md0. Does that look correct or can I not do
RAID1 on 3 devices? Should I have added '--spare-device=1' to that
command?

Now I would do:

mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2

Then mount / on /dev/md1.

Do both commands look OK?