[arch-general] Bad Idea?

Brendan Long korin43 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:55:05 CET 2010

On 03/09/2010 03:23 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Is it a bad idea to install nVidia display drivers manually by
> downloading them from nvidia.com and installing it by hand...or should
> I use 'Pacman'? I read that I could mess up my system by manually
> installing packages and should always use Pacman.
>
> Thoughts / Suggestions?
>
> -Carlos

What's the point of having a package manager if you don't want to use
it? On Arch, it's not like you'll be behind much anyway. The only reason
the nvidia drivers aren't current isn't because the new drivers can
literally melt your video card (something which the package's maintainer
knew and you might not).