[arch-general] Bad Idea?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 11 11:45:03 CET 2010

Am 09.03.2010 23:23, schrieb Carlos Mennens:
> Is it a bad idea to install nVidia display drivers manually by
> downloading them from nvidia.com and installing it by hand...or should
> I use 'Pacman'? I read that I could mess up my system by manually
> installing packages and should always use Pacman.
>
> Thoughts / Suggestions?
>
> -Carlos

The nvidia installer is evil: It will replace files that belong to other
packages (like xorg-server or libgl) with its own versions. On
deinstallation, it will move files back I think. Combine that with
upgrades of Arch packages and you get a chaos where nobody knows where
your files come from.

If you want a different or more recent version of the nvidia drivers, or
a kernel module for a different kernel, modify the nvidia-utils and
nvidia PKGBUILDs.