[arch-general] what is the procedure when your find an out-of-date package in AUR?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 16:50:26 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:41 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 09:19 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates,
> >
> > 	I need yum as a dependency to yum-createrepo, but the package is flagged as
> > out-of-date in AUR. This is the first time I've run across an out of date
> > package in something I needed to build so I don't have experience with the
> > procedure after finding a package out of date. Do we:
> >
> > - let the maintainer know?
> > - use anyway knowing not much has changed?
> > - look for a way to find out why it is out of date?, if so how?
> >
> > 	Let me know how Arch wants this handled. Thanks.
> >

> OK,
>
> 	I think I have it figured out. Check notes in AUR, check for the new source
> version, edit PKGBUILD and.. try it..
>
> 	If there are other steps I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks.

The fact that its flagged out-of-date means the maintainer has been
informed. When a user flags my packages out-of-date I receive an email
immediately.

The preferred way to handle this, I believe, is for the user to try
bumping the pkgver and building it himself. If it works, send that
PKGBUILD to the maintainer (ready-made PKGBUILDs means even the laziest
maintainer, like yours truly, doesn't have an excuse NOT to update). If
it doesn't, see if there's a simple fix, implement it, and send THAT to
the maintainer.

If all else fails, blame Allan. Oh, and tell the maintainer what failed.