[arch-general] New Using AUR

Edgar Kalkowski eMail at edgar-kalkowski.de
Wed Mar 24 15:06:57 CET 2010

Am oder ungefähr am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010, schrieb Carlos Mennens:
> I had two questions about using the AUR. I have never done it before
> and read of the How-To on the Wiki but could someone please answer the
> following two questions I have:

Hi Carlos!

> 1. If I build a tarball on 'PC1' downloaded from AUR with the 'makepkg
> -s' command, can I then transfer the created tarball to 'PC2' and
> install it even though PC2 didn't have any of the required packages
> used to create the tarball from the AUR?

There are two different types of dependencies defined for packages in the AUR: build time dependencies are needed to build a package using some PKGBUILD, package dependencies are required to run the program that is contained in the package. The first type of dependency is not needed on PC2, the second type will be needed and will be installed by pacman if you install the package from the tarball on PC2.

> 2. Once a package is installed from the AUR, when I do a system
> upgrade via Pacman, will outdated packages I installed via AUR get
> automatically upgraded or do I have to do all my AUR packages
> manually?

This is something pacman itself cannot do. However there are some wrapper scripts for pacman that can do this. One is called yaourt and can be found on the aur. I myself have written a small script that checks all installed packages (including those from the AUR) for updates but does not do any automatic update attempt like yaourt does. If you’d like to check it out it can be found at http://edgar-kalkowski.de/aurupdate.

I hope this helps! :)

Edgar