[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Philipp hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Mar 30 18:13:21 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Heiko Baums's message of 2010-03-30 17:05:09 +0200:
> Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:10:22 +0800
> schrieb Ian-Xue Li <da.mi.spirit at gmail.com>:
>
> > As for MOC, I recommend cmus over MOC because it got more decoder over
> > different types files.
>
> Well, just tried cmus. It's so complicated an unintuitive. If I need to
> first finish my degree to be able to use a program then there's
> something wrong with it. If I add a directory to the playlist, there
> are no tracks listed in the playlist, only the directory, and the
> tracks are played in random order, there's no progress bar, etc. And to
> do simple things, you first need to enter complicated vi like
> commands. I hate vi, btw. And my impression is that the sound quality
> of MOC is still a bit better.
>
> I doubt that one need the other decoders. At least I haven't missed a
> decoder in MOC.
>
> Heiko

Afaik moc supports anything libsndfile supports, and more, which is pretty
much everything.

The arch package may be missing some codecs and the description is
misleading:
"An ncurses console audio player with support for the mp3, ogg, and wave
formats"

wavpack support was missing in the arch package, I requested to add it
as optdepend and it was done since moc handles it exceptionally well.
If it's compiled with .wv support but the codec is missing there's no
problem, you just can't add .wv files to the playlist. No crash,
nothing. I bet it's the same with any other format.

If you think you miss one, try it, and if it really doesn't work,
recompile with the codec, test and request that it gets added.