[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Mar 30 23:30:51 CEST 2010

Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:10:05 -0400
schrieb Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com>:

> On Tue 30 Mar 2010 19:26 +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > schrieb Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com>:
> >
> > > Heh cmus is probably my preferred player now so I ought to defend
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Too complicated, seriously ? The only command I ever need is the
> > > initial one to add my music directory :
> > >               # add files, short for ':add ~/music'
> > >               :a ~/music
> >
> > :add command: As I said complicated vi like commands.
>
> I don't know what planet you come from, but that seems pretty simple
> and straightforward to my inferior human brain.

This single command may be not that hard to remember. But this is not
the only command, and just selecting a file with the cursor keys and
pressing the shortcut 'a' is much easier and more intuitive than first
enter a command ':add' and then enter the complete path manually. The
file name completion in cmus doesn't work correctly, btw.

And it's not only these commands, but also these shortcuts.

From Xavier:
> Maybe you should look up where z x c v b are in a qwerty layout and
> what they do, and it will suddenly looks more intuitive and practical.
> If you're not on qwerty, you can rebind them.

This is also not intuitive, because this rebinding works only on
qwerty, but not on qwertz keyboards. And this way I have to remember
which block of keys are for controlling (zxcvb,xcvbn, asdfg or
whatever), and in which order the controls are bound to this block of
keys (is it play, stop, next, back, shuffle or stop, back, play, next,
shuffle or whatever).

'Enter' for play, 's' for stop, 'p' pause, etc. works with every
keyboard with latin characters and you just need to know, what you want
to do, and don't need to combine it with some other theories or so
called mnemonics. So it's more intuitive.

It's not, that one can't remember the other shortcuts, but the question
here is, what's easier to remember and to use and what's more intuitive.

And I prefer MOC's controls a lot.

And pressing the shortcut 'Q' as in MOC is easier, faster and more
common as entering the command ':quit' to quit the program.

As I said, I don't like - in fact I hate - vi, because it's anything
but intuitive and user-friendly.

Nevertheless this is not the bugtracker for cmus upstream, and everyone
should use, what he wants.

Heiko