[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Mar 30 19:26:24 CEST 2010

Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:54:48 +0200
schrieb Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com>:

> Heh cmus is probably my preferred player now so I ought to defend it.
>
> Too complicated, seriously ? The only command I ever need is the
> initial one to add my music directory :
>               # add files, short for ':add ~/music'
>               :a ~/music

:add command: As I said complicated vi like commands.

In MOC you have a file and directory list on the left and a play list on
the right side. You just need to move the selection bar with the cursor
keys and press a for add to add a file or a directory recursively to
the play list. And to remove a song from the playlist you just need to
press d for delete.

Toggling between the two lists is possible with tab.

Btw., I'm not a friend of those libraries. I organize my audio files on
my hard disk with directories and subdirectories. One directory for the
interpreter and one subdirectory for the album.

With those libraries I usually have chaos and have much more problems
finding my files, because they don't work correctly and/or the tags are
not filled correctly and consistently.

> After that, all you need is 3 keys : space to expand an artist and
> view the albums, enter to play what you want, tab to switch between
> album view and track view if you want a particular track.
>
> By the way, in the main/default mode, you don't see directory, you see
> artist/albums from tags.
>        There are 7 views in cmus.  Press keys 1-7 to change active
> view. Library view (1)
>
> And these 5 shortcuts can be useful too :
>        x              player-play
>        c              player-pause
>        v              player-stop
>        C              toggle continue
>        s              toggle shuffle

In MOC:
Enter     play
p         pause
s         stop
n         next
b         back
S         toggle shuffle
Somehow much more intuitive, isn't it?

> You cannot pretend you want keyboard controls, and not open the man
> page to learn the few keys you need :)

I read the man page. But in MOC you just press h to toggle between the
player and a quick help about the shortcuts. MOC has a man page, too,
but not for the shortcuts. It's more for infos about configuration or
using it with lirc.

And MOC has a progress bar, shows the file format, the bitrate and some
other infos.

I don't know if cmus has them, but MOC has themes.

Heiko