[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 19:50:33 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:54:48 +0200
> schrieb Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com>:
>
>> Heh cmus is probably my preferred player now so I ought to defend it.
>>
>> Too complicated, seriously ? The only command I ever need is the
>> initial one to add my music directory :
>>               # add files, short for ':add ~/music'
>>               :a ~/music
>
> :add command: As I said complicated vi like commands.

I did say some people like me only need it once.
I put my music only in one directory, I don't think it's so uncommon.

http://easytag.sourceforge.net/

>> After that, all you need is 3 keys : space to expand an artist and
>> view the albums, enter to play what you want, tab to switch between
>> album view and track view if you want a particular track.
>>
>> By the way, in the main/default mode, you don't see directory, you see
>> artist/albums from tags.
>>        There are 7 views in cmus.  Press keys 1-7 to change active
>> view. Library view (1)
>>
>> And these 5 shortcuts can be useful too :
>>        x              player-play
>>        c              player-pause
>>        v              player-stop
>>        C              toggle continue
>>        s              toggle shuffle
>
> In MOC:
> Enter     play
> p         pause
> s         stop
> n         next
> b         back
> S         toggle shuffle
> Somehow much more intuitive, isn't it?

Maybe you should look up where z x c v b are in a qwerty layout and
what they do, and it will suddenly looks more intuitive and practical.
If you're not on qwerty, you can rebind them.

>> You cannot pretend you want keyboard controls, and not open the man
>> page to learn the few keys you need :)
>
> I read the man page. But in MOC you just press h to toggle between the
> player and a quick help about the shortcuts. MOC has a man page, too,
> but not for the shortcuts. It's more for infos about configuration or
> using it with lirc.

       Settings view (7)
              Lists keybindings, unbound commands and options.  Remove
bindings with D or del, change
              bindings and variables with enter and toggle variables with space.

> And MOC has a progress bar, shows the file format, the bitrate and some
> other infos.

I have no need for a progress bar, this is enough for me, both more
informative and shorter :
00:07 / 03:14

I don't know if it can display file format and bitrate, I don't care
much and I have other ways to find this information the rare times I
need it.

> I don't know if cmus has them, but MOC has themes.

It has themes too.

I have nothing against MOC, I like it too, just wanted to clarify a
few things about cmus in case some people want to give it a try. No
big deal, really.