[arch-general] Getting X running on new install (Ionut Biru)

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:45:24 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is exactly what I did. I am not a beginner and have read quite some
> articles about Arch and I am aware of the fact that I have to follow
> carefully all steps in this installation process. So pleas bear with me and
> hep me over this problem.
>
> Since it failed I tried to identify the card (I did not know the lshw
> command before) and redid the steps with the driver for the nvidia-96xx
> card. Again no X-screen. I also copied the xorg.conf from Ubuntu over to
> Arch but again no X server that would run. I also tried the nouveau driver
> and he is given as error:
>
> (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> It is the second time I try to install Arch, I really want to try out this
> rolling principle, but again I am unable to get up the X server which is
> working without flaws in Ubuntu.

Your card is recent, you don't need the 96xx series, though that
should work as well.
It seems that in both cases (nvidia or nouveau), the module is not
loaded properly.
First choose the one you want, and uninstall/remove the other
completely, as they both conflict with each other.
e.g. if you go with nvidia
# pacman -R nouveau-drm
check which modules are loaded
# lsmod
if you see nouveau or nvidia, then rmmod them
# rmmod nouveau
# rmmod nvidia
Then load the kernel module
# modprobe nvidia