[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Mar 31 15:49:39 CEST 2010

It would appear that on Mar 30, Heiko Baums did say:

> I don't know if it meets your requirements regarding the playlist, but
> the best audio player I know is MOC (http://moc.daper.net). It has the
> best sound quality of every player I know and is controlled by keyboard.
>
> You can set a "global" music directory in its config file and by
> pressing 'a' it appends the selected file or recursively every music
> file in the selected directory and its subdirectories to the playlist.

Well I suppose if it's easy to add music files recursively to the playlist.
AND if it's just as easy to wipe the old contents, it might work for me.

> Pressing 'h' brings the help screen.

That's a nice touch...

It would appear that on Mar 30, ludovic coues did say:

> have you try mpd ?
> mpc allow you to lod every file from the mpd's music directory with a single
> commnd like `mpc findadd Title ""`

No I haven't. But to be honest, While I want keyboard control, I don't
really want to deal with remembering a command syntax when I just want to
get my music going so I can work to it...

It would appear that on Mar 30, Xavier Chantry did say:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
> >
> > Could somebody recommend another media player I could try that will let me
> > create temporary music lists on the fly by typing the path to a parent
> > dir containing multiple music directories???
> >

> I don't know any music player that does not allow that.

The Kaffeine from kde4... <grin>

> > One that understands keyboard commands for it's functions???
> >

> And same here.

It's probably true that most do have some shortcuts, But they're not always
obvious. I must confess to being partial to a keyboard accessible pop-up menu
like Kaffeine uses where <alt>+F opens the file menu. And <alt>+P lets me
at the player commands etc... That way I don't have to memorize the assigned
keybindings...

> Anyway I would suggest you to keep trying audio players until you find
> one that suits your need.

Yeah I guess your right. Of course when one doesn't know the names of very many
of them, it can be hard to know what to try...

> For example here is a list of light one :
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightweight_Applications#Audio_Players

I might have known Arch would have a wiki for this... <sheepish grin>

> The console/curses one are made exclusively for keyboard control.

That's good to know...

It would appear that on Mar 30, Ian-Xue Li did say:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:12:15PM +0200, Linas wrote:
> > If your main problem is to create playlists for a recursive music tree,
> > I guess that
> > this would work with pretty much all players:
> > find /path/to/music > music-list.m3u
> > $PLAYER music-list.m3u
> One shortcoming of this way is that you might need a expert shell script
> to update the lists containing the file, plus that filename handling
> needs some work with shell scripts.

Actually though *_IF_* the $PLAYER doesn't choke on the lines representing each
directory itself being included with the list of the music files within it, so that
I don't have to edit the resulting .m3u file. Then it looks like updating would be
handled by simply letting the command overwrite the old .m3u with the new contents...
So I guess it wouldn't require that fancy a shell script. Probably even I
could write one...

> Opon the original issue, I think any music player with databases would
> suit the original writers need. For example, exaile.

I'm more interested in the ability to quickly generate a "these are there now"
playlist than in trying to keep an existing database up to date...

> As for MOC, I recommend cmus over MOC because it got more decoder over
> different types files.

That might be useful.

It would appear that on Mar 30, Xavier Chantry did say:

> Heh cmus is probably my preferred player now so I ought to defend it.
>
> Too complicated, seriously ? The only command I ever need is the
> initial one to add my music directory :
>               # add files, short for ':add ~/music'
>               :a ~/music
>
> After that, all you need is 3 keys : space to expand an artist and
> view the albums, enter to play what you want, tab to switch between
> album view and track view if you want a particular track.

99% of the time what I want is to just play the whole list in random order
with an easy hot key to skip any I decide, upon hearing, that I'm not in the
mood for.

> By the way, in the main/default mode, you don't see directory, you see
> artist/albums from tags.

That would bug me. "tags smags" IF I'm looking at album/artist info what I
want to see is the durned directory names I filed the music under... I
could care less what the original album names were. Everything I want to
know IS in the pathnames...

> And these 5 shortcuts can be useful too :
>        x              player-play
>        c              player-pause
>        v              player-stop
>        C              toggle continue
>        s              toggle shuffle
>
> You cannot pretend you want keyboard controls, and not open the man
> page to learn the few keys you need :)

True enough, assuming the man page is installed, and is written in such a
way as to make it easy to quickly refresh ones memory of the "useful" shortcuts.
But I gotta say, Those shortcuts would require rereading the man page most
every time I wanted to use them. Unless there are on screen clues to remind
me. (That's why I like pop-up menu controls.)

It would appear that on Mar 30, Heiko Baums did say:

> In MOC:
> Enter     play
> p         pause
> s         stop
> n         next
> b         back
> S         toggle shuffle
> Somehow much more intuitive, isn't it?

Those, I might be able to remember... <grin>

<MUCH quoting from multiple replies snipped>

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate over which music program is
better. I guess some people have strongly entrenched preferences.

I wonder if that infamous long running vi/emacs holy war started
as innocently as a request for suggestions for a good editor...

Oh no, tell me I didn't just mention both editor names in the same thread...
Whoopsie! <snicker>

Seriously though, I thank you, one and all, for the suggestions.