[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Guilherme M. Nogueira guilherme at nirev.org
Wed Mar 31 16:05:30 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>wrote:

> [ ... ]
> 99% of the time what I want is to just play the whole list in random order
> with an easy hot key to skip any I decide, upon hearing, that I'm not in
> the
> mood for.

That is exactly what I do, with a collection of about 10.000 songs.
I use MPD and ncmpcpp frontend, which is great.
with ncmpcpp you just go with TAB to change from playlist to browser and
vice-versa
and press SPACE to add a directory and all its subdirs to the playlist.
So, if you have a top directory where all your mp3s are stored (like I do),
you would
just go to browser and press SPACE on this top dir, and you have the
playlist with
all your songs.
Press 'z' to turn random on and off. User up and down arrow keys or pgup
pgdown
to navigate the playlist, and ENTER to play a song.

If you need hotkeys, just use mpc commands.
mpc next
mpc toggle
etc...

--