[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson helgikrs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:04:30 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:05:30AM -0300, Guilherme M. Nogueira wrote:
> That is exactly what I do, with a collection of about 10.000 songs.
> I use MPD and ncmpcpp frontend, which is great.
> with ncmpcpp you just go with TAB to change from playlist to browser and
> vice-versa
> and press SPACE to add a directory and all its subdirs to the playlist.
> So, if you have a top directory where all your mp3s are stored (like I do),
> you would
> just go to browser and press SPACE on this top dir, and you have the
> playlist with
> all your songs.

I use mpd, and I find most of the frontends useless. You can use mpc
search or grep to find the music you want and pipe it to mpc add. So mpc
listall | mpc add adds every song in your music directory to the current
playlist, or use search/find to filter through what you want.

> Press 'z' to turn random on and off. User up and down arrow keys or pgup
> pgdown
> to navigate the playlist, and ENTER to play a song.
>
> If you need hotkeys, just use mpc commands.
> mpc next
> mpc toggle
> etc...

I bound alt+v to mpc prev, alt+b to mpc next and alt+g to mpc toggle and
alt+p to "mpc crop; mpc load $(basename $(ls ~.mpd/playlists/ | dmenu)
.m3u); mpc play" in
my wm.
Couldn't be simpler, all I want from my music player is to stay
out of my way, and that couldn't be more true for mpd.

--
Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson <helgikrs (at) gmail (dot) com>