[arch-general] Err... Why is gvim now conflicting with vim?

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:27:50 EDT 2010

2010/5/7 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is a rolling release, not an LTS. There is no excuse to not be updating
>>> regularly and reading the news. If its a production machine and you are
>>> worried about breakage maybe you shouldnt be running arch on it. The ML,
>>> forums, and irc are full of people who refuse to read the news or update
>>> regularly, and we all waste time answering questions that with proper arch
>>> maintenance would ensure that they never come up.
>>>

>> It's people like you that give arch a bad reputation. Grow up.
>>

> David,
>
> You have to understand too that It's annoying ot ask anything without
> doing a quick search on google, it's different when you didn't found
> anything (note: previous search before to ask should be the way) and
> then you ask here, but if you didn't a simple research, it's like you
> see us that we are here to do that research for you, don't say grow
> up, they will say you the classic RTFM or SFTW, just an advice, I
> personally don't like to reply e-mails that can be solved with a
> little investigation :)
>
> And Arch can have bad reputation as ubuntu/fedora/suse have bad
> user-community reputation (don't search first, just ask and re-ask
> questions that have been replied before) it doesn't matter the distro.
>
> As I said, personally I don't like to reply that kind of e-mails but,
> if the user it's insistent like (heyyyyy nobody didn't replied me!) I
> will surely reply (If I got pissed) with a kind of reply of "SFTW" or
> the link with (google:"phrase to search" + i feel lucky)

David,

I basically agree with angvp here also. At times, you alone have been
responsible for a huge proportion of traffic on this list, mostly
asking questions about some small difficulty that an Arch user is
expected to figure out on his/her own. I've several times in the past
suspended delivery of arch-general because this noise becomes too much
to follow.

Arch is more in danger of being overrun by Help Vampires the way
Ubuntu and Fedora already have, than it is of getting an arrogant
reputation. At the very least, I wish you would post your tech-support
questions on the forums, which are designed for that kind of content
(and are sadly already a bit overrun). This list, as I understand it,
is intended as the primary means for users to communicate with the
devs, not a help-channel. Filling it with ordinary help requests makes
it much less useful.

There's also no excuse for not reading the front page news. Reading,
understanding, and making appropriate use of that news is a base
requirement for participation in this community.