[arch-general] vim runtime woes

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Fri May 14 15:09:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
> The vim runtime that can be retrieved via rsync is outdated.
>
> Some of the patches modify the runtime, and some of these changes
> (e.g. 394) are lost when the runtime is overwritten with the runtime
> from rsync.
>
> Not using the runtime from rsync at all also misses some updates.
>
> Any thoughts on how to solve this? One option would be to build vim
> from Mercurial (http://vim.googlecode.com).

Just in case people think this is a theoretical problem no one cares about ...
solving this would give us tar.xz support that comes with latest
version of gzip plugin :
http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/plugin/gzip.vim
Never opened a package in vim ? it's awesome :p

Anyway, this is just an example, we are also missing the latest &
greatest changes in many runtime files.
Well not me, as I use vim-hg, and I would recommend other vim users to
do the same.