[arch-general] PulseAudio package group

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue May 18 18:44:15 EDT 2010

On 05/18/10 18:25, Jan Steffens wrote:
> I could make PulseAudio installation significantly easier by putting
> specially-built packages (e.g. sdl-pulse, openal-pulse) into
> [community] and grouping them in a "pulse" group.
>
> This group would also include a "pulse-asoundrc" package containing a
> pulse-configured asound.conf, as well as depending on alsa-plugins.
>
> Should I go ahead with this? Any suggestions?

Sounds neat! (disclaimer: i haven't used PA on Arch, only on Ubuntu in
the past.)  Question: OK this would make it easy to transition *to* a
PulseAudio based system, but suppose I later decide I don't like it-- is
it easy to transition back to a non-PA system?(wait, it's trivial if
those packages don't conflict with 'sdl' etc. -- do they?)

also I wonder why the group name to be "pulse" and not "pulseaudio".