[arch-general] PulseAudio package group

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue May 18 18:50:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 18:44 -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> On 05/18/10 18:25, Jan Steffens wrote:
> > I could make PulseAudio installation significantly easier by putting
> > specially-built packages (e.g. sdl-pulse, openal-pulse) into
> > [community] and grouping them in a "pulse" group.
> >
> > This group would also include a "pulse-asoundrc" package containing a
> > pulse-configured asound.conf, as well as depending on alsa-plugins.
> >
> > Should I go ahead with this? Any suggestions?
>
> Sounds neat! (disclaimer: i haven't used PA on Arch, only on Ubuntu in
> the past.)  Question: OK this would make it easy to transition *to* a
> PulseAudio based system, but suppose I later decide I don't like it-- is
> it easy to transition back to a non-PA system?(wait, it's trivial if
> those packages don't conflict with 'sdl' etc. -- do they?)
>
> also I wonder why the group name to be "pulse" and not "pulseaudio".

The only thing this would make simpler is not requiring user-compilation
(and the packages must conflict with sdl/openal I believe, in most
cases).

I'd be happy with this if only for the reason that I wouldn't have to
wait for the REALLY slow mplayer downloads to compile mplayer-pulse. You
may have difficulty selecting which packages though (would
gnome-media-pulse qualify?).