[arch-general] A question about Arch Sixty Four

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Mon May 24 01:29:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I had a question about the sixty four bit port of Arch in general so figured
> this would be an okay place besides IRC to obtain any help I needed.
> I wanted to find out ruffly how much memory Arch sixty four will use for any
> program in general, regardless of GUI/console?

i really don't think there is a way to answer this.  i'm not an expert
on hardware, but 64bit applies to the CPU, nothing else.  a larger
bottom level cache allows the CPU to view/consume more data/bits at
once, and to perform better on precision mathematics like heavy
floating point operations.  i don't see it having much-to-any effect
on RAM usage, but again maybe i'm missing something and then someone
will surely correct me :-)

> I have an Intel 2 core dule  T9600 2.80 GHZ, 4 Gb of RAM installed, with a
> 320 Gb hard-drive installed in my laptop.

plenty

> I tend to put a lot of RAM aside for virtual machines specifically. At
> present due to some requirements, I'm using Arch virtually on top of a
> Windows Seven host.
> I want to put this setup later on to Linux, and for now am doing fine with
> this virtual stuff. However I should mention that the host is 32-bit at
> present, and I was curious how much RAM is used in general under pure Arch
> 64?

again don't worry about the differences.  64 bit means you don't have
to deal with address space limits/etc.... its the way to go.

> I would probably attempt to alocate about 3GB from the system.
> Anyone using virtualization  and VMs heavily on any platform is aware of the
> RAM requirements, surely.
> I was just curious if I'd be making a mistake and/or if this would be
> possible?

do it.

> Thanks!
>
> Regards, --Keith