[arch-general] A question about Arch Sixty Four

Frédéric Perrin frederic.perrin at resel.fr
Mon May 24 17:48:11 EDT 2010

Le lundi 24 à  0:29, C Anthony Risinger a écrit :
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had a question about the sixty four bit port of Arch in general
>> so figured this would be an okay place besides IRC to obtain any
>> help I needed. I wanted to find out ruffly how much memory Arch
>> sixty four will use for any program in general, regardless of
>> GUI/console?
>
> i really don't think there is a way to answer this.  i'm not an expert
> on hardware, but 64bit applies to the CPU, nothing else.  a larger
> bottom level cache allows the CPU to view/consume more data/bits at
> once, and to perform better on precision mathematics like heavy
> floating point operations.  i don't see it having much-to-any effect
> on RAM usage, but again maybe i'm missing something and then someone
> will surely correct me :-)

On a 64 bit machine, in « char *p; », p will use 64 bits (8 bytes),
instead of 4 bytes in a 32 bits machine [I'm talking about p, not about
*p which doesn't look like it exists]. Gary Wright seems to be saying
that the impact is negligible. Nicky726 seems to be saying that there
is a difference of up to 80%. I am surprised by such a claim, but there
seems to be anecdotes on Google of people seeing the same thing. As I
don't have a 64 bits machine, I can't test for myself.

--
Fred